Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Buying running shoes is like going to the optometrist:

I got fitted for a new pair of running shoes because my old shoes are so worn they are giving me blisters again. It was my first time in an actual running store (Runner's Corner in Orem, if anybody cares), because, you know, I'm a world-class cheapskate, and it was like I was having an eye exam.

The lady helping was super nice (great service) and very informative. She had me run with a different shoe on each foot, each time keeping the shoe I liked best.

(Brooks Ravenna 3 are what I ended up with, if anybody cares. 
Also, they are green, so hello not-getting-pinched-this-Saturday!)

"One or two? One or two? Ooooone or twooooo?" Until it's narrowed down to two pairs, and then you try each pair by itself. My over-pronating feet are in heaven. I will never buy cheap shoes again. At least, that is a promise I will try to keep.

You know what I hate? Getting my eyes dilated. It feels...so stretchy and uncomfortable. Can you imagine if they did the equivalent to your feet?

"We're going to make your feet swell up, just for fun.
Now run."

What shoes do YOU run with?
and
Glasses or contacts? Or both?

6 comments:

Amy said...

I run with Asics. I used to swear by New Balance, but then I went to Dick's sporting goods and got "fitted." Not like you did, but once I slipped on those pink babies, I was like.. ahh....
The guy said, once you know, you know.

And I have both contacts and glasses. Mostly I wear glasses when I don't want to wear makeup.

Emmy said...

Ooh, glasses definitely. I can't stand the thought of putting something in my eye; I freak out getting eye drops at the optometrist!

Back in high school, the girl who had the locker next to me got too many drops in her eyes, so her pupils were HUGE for the entire day. She looked like a really scary owl-person.

momnextdoor said...

I just bought new shoes too. But I don't remember what brand they are. I'm super observant like that!

And contact all the way baby!!

Steven Cain said...

Chess... If you can afford it, buy two pair of trainers and alternate. It sounds like bs coming from a sales person, but it works... keeps them feeling light and fluffy every day... especially when you get into the big miles.

I've run in New Balance since high school. Yes, shoes had been invented then.

Andrew Spratt said...

I'm an Asics man, and I've got a craving for a new pair too. 20/15 vision too, which is pretty great!

Andrew Spratt said...

I'm an Asics man, and I've got a craving for a new pair. As per glasses v contacts, I have 20/15 vision, so neither. I've often wished I could wear glasses though. I guess I still could, but then I'd be a hipster.